Chandler Fam

Chandler Fam

Sunday, February 28, 2010

And the winner is...

...ME! I won our ward Chili cook-off! I am not a person that wins any kind of contest, but especially one that has to do with cooking, but I really did it. I can't take all the credit because the recipe came from my mother-in-law, who actually got it from a friend that won at her chili cook-off, but I'm still proud. I wish I would've tried making it beforehand, so I could have tweaked it and really made it my own. I did get a little creative with some of the amounts since I was trying to make more, but didn't quite have enough to double. When I make it again, I want to make it a little thicker and am going to try smashing one of the cans of beans. I'll have to experiment. But, since many people have asked, here is the "famous" recipe, along with a picture of my little prizes! Enjoy! Award Winning Creamy White Chili: In large pot saute: 1 pound chicken, cubed (one of my competitors shredded their chicken and I may try that) 1 medium onion chopped 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder 1 Tbsp vegetable oil Add: 2 (15 oz) cans Great Northern beans, rinsed and drained (try mashing one?) 1 (14 oz) can chicken broth 2 (4 oz) cans diced green chiles 1 tsp salt 1 tsp ground cumin 1 tsp dried oregano 1/2 tsp pepper 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper My competitor also had a can of corn in her's that I might throw in next time. We decided the combination of our two chilis really would have been amazing! Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 30+ minutes. I then pulled it off the heat and let it sit for an hour or so to let the spices really do their job. Then I warmed it back up and added the secret ingredients: 1 cup sour cream 1/2 cup whipping cream! The original recipe said to take it off the heat and serve immediately, but I had lots of globs of sour cream so I turned the heat up for a bit to try and get them to blend in. It's super creamy and yummy, so enjoy. Play with it, make it yours and let me know if you win! p.s. I do need to give a little credit to my husband who has touched a pot maybe 5 times since we've been married. He actually put the oil in the pot AND rinsed the beans!!! A huge step for him. I am so proud of you Aaron! We won!

3 comments:

Sue A. Frame said...

Congrats on the winning! This recipe sounds super good and nothing like any other chili I have seen! Plus...I love cumin. So anything with cumin HAS to be good! I will definitely try it out this week or next. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for the recipe!

Anonymous said...

well, I guess your not going to win next year now that I know the recipe.....WOOOHOOOOO

Holly said...

That sounds delicious! I'll have to try it when we unpack our pots and pans in Germany next month! I miss you guys!