Chandler Fam

Chandler Fam

Sunday, March 14, 2010

I hope I never forget

Wesley had a hard time getting to sleep tonight. He kept crying and calling my name. I tried to be tough and just let him cry it out, but I eventually went in to see him. He handed me his teddy bear and soft blanket and reached out his arms for me to pick him up. So we rocked and sang for a minute. It was so sweet to watch as he got sleepy. He struggled to keep his little eyes open. As I rocked I thought about how much importance I put on a sleep schedule and falling to sleep on his own, etc. when Dillon was little. You should never rock your baby to sleep!! But as I rocked this sweet little boy I decided that none of that really matters and that the most rewarding part of being a parent is having moments where you feel the deepest love one can imagine. You look into their sweet little eyes and get a little taste of heaven. So we kept singing, humming and rocking and eventually I stood up and we kept swaying as his eyes got heavier and heavier. He has the sweetest little face that I just can't get enough of. When he gets older and loses some of the sweetness I hope I can remember tonight and how precious he really is. So hopefully by writing this, it'll be harder to forget. I'm so lucky to be a mom.

3 comments:

Justin and JoLyn said...

I have rocked all my kids. I still rock Ashton asleep and he 10 months old. I know I should let him try to get to sleep on his own... just so when I'm teaching piano or leaving him with a babysitter, it will be easier... but I can't do it! I love it so much!! "Babies don't keep..."

courtney said...

we love our sleep schedules too - but the occasional rock to sleep can't hurt, right? love those moments. so, so sweet.

Elysa said...

I couldn't agree more. By the way, I love the story about the mouse and the dinosaur. So cute!