Chandler Fam

Chandler Fam

Sunday, November 1, 2009

Birthday trip

My mother-in-law, Lori, turned 50 last week. To celebrate, Don planned a trip to Chicago for all the siblings. We told Lori about the surprise trip just 3 days in advance so she would have time to pack. But Dillon had no idea they were coming. They flew in on Thursday (22nd) and Dillon was so cute when he saw Grandma Lori get out of Daddy's car. His jaw dropped and he said very calmly, "I didn't know you were coming." Over the next hour he realized what had really happened and had a perma-grin on his face for the rest of the weekend. He LOVES his grandma! We had Chicago-style pizza that night to welcome them to the city.
On Friday the kids and I stayed home while the rest of them headed to the opera--Faust. From what I hear, it was pretty amazing.
That night we all went swimming at the hotel where Lori was staying. Our ridiculous silly impromtu pool games were probably the highlight of the trip for me--I haven't laughed that hard for a long time! I have such awesome in-laws!
Saturday we went into the city to see Navy Pier and walk the Magnificent Mile. We got some fun pictures from the huge ferris wheel at Navy Pier.
That evening we ate at the "All Aboard Diner" and then left the boys with a sitter while the adults went to see the Broadway production of Thouroughly Modern Millie. It was such a fun show! I highly recommend it.
Sunday was Lori's actual birthday and we were able to spend some nice time just together. Our awesome friends staged a delivery from Lori's favorite fast food place--Fiesta Ole!
We presented Lori with some sentimental gifts everyone had been working on and then enjoyed dinner and cake with some cousins.
Lindsay's birthday was three days later so we got to sing to her too!
Monday morning they flew back home.
All in all, it was a wonderful weekend. We stayed up way too late every night, but it was because we were having too much fun. I am so lucky to have married into such a wonderful family. Thanks for coming fam! We miss you already!

4 comments:

Sarah and Trent said...

What a good looking family!! Looks like you had So much fun - my family came to visit us a while ago and I agree it is so fun to have them closeby :)

Shane and Amy Jo said...

MISS YOU TOO!!!!! Thank you so, so much for being such a great hostess! It was so fun to be in your home. I absolutely loved every minute of being together. SUCH a fun trip!

Justin and JoLyn said...

Thank you, Nan, for posting this! I've been eager to hear about this trip. What a wonderful surprise for Lori! I'm sure she felt so loved! I've heard that you're the greatest host ever! I want to visit Chicago someday too!

Janelle Dobson said...

SO FUN to see all the Chandlers again! What a fun weekend for you all.