Chandler Fam

Chandler Fam

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

A New Motto

I don't "talk" on my blog very much, but I've had some thoughts that I think are worth remembering. I apologize if it's too personal, this is more for me than anyone else. I have a new motto / inspiration / something to live up to. It comes from Galatians 5:22 in the Bible.
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, long suffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance...
I came across it several nights ago after praying to be a better, more patient and loving mother. What an answer, hey?! This is how I need to parent, with the Spirit, filled with love, and concentrating on the JOY part. I need to be gentle with the sweet little ones with which I've been blessed. And on those days when I have just had it, I need to have faith and trust in the Lord -- let Him help me carry the burden. I wrote it down and have kept it next to my bed, re-reading the words several times. I've studied some of the specific words that are used. More than anything, I keep finding myself repeating the words in my head during the day. That alone has brought a lot of comfort. You see, I love my children. They are my life. They are why I get up every morning. And they are the reason I crash on my pillow at night. They wear me out! Three children has really been an adjustment and challenge for me. They are each so unique. I'm realizing that more now that Wesley is a little older. Things that were so simple with Dillon are huge battles with him. And the other way around as well. Some things that were so difficult with Dillon are not even issues with Wesley. And Caleb is his own man, too. It's so fun to see how different they are, although I was hoping parenting would get easier after the first child thinking I would know how to do it. Not so. Tonight we had one of those moments where it all seems worth it. It started with reading 'scripture stories.' The boys actually listened, probably just because they thought it was cool that the story was about a tower. Then we said a prayer and I helped them into bed. As I did, I sang "I know that my Savior Loves Me." The first few lines go like this...
A long time ago in a beautiful place, children were gathered 'round Jesus. He blessed and taught as they felt of His love, each saw the tears on His face.
I've sung it a hundred times, but this time Wesley stopped me and asked "Why did Jesus have tears on His face?" I explained to him it was because He loved the children so much. We talked about how sometimes people cry when they are talking at church because they are happy and are feeling the Holy Ghost. That really sparked Dillon's interest. We talked for a while and ended up deciding Dillon should say a special prayer to help him feel the Holy Ghost more and recognize it when he does. He also prayed that he'll listen to the words people are saying in church and understand things. He prayed for help in school as well. It was a really sweet, thoughtful prayer. When he finished he saw me wiping my cheeks and asked," Do you have tears?" I confirmed that I did, because I was feeling the Holy Ghost. And with a huge smile on his face he replied, "I think I'm feeling the Holy Ghost too Mom! I feel really good and happy." I thought back on my new favorite scripture and how grateful I was to feel the JOY and LOVE parts of parenting at that moment. The Spirit was there in that room and I think my boy may have felt it. I am so grateful to be a mom and even more grateful that I don't have to do it alone. The Lord understands my needs and those of my children and He is willing to help us along the way. I just have to remember to listen.
(Anyone know why Blogger messes up my paragraphs?)

3 comments:

Huszar Family - Idaho said...

I've never met you, but am a good friend of Amy Tucker's. I have 3 boys ages 3 1/2 and under and my baby is 6 months too. I loved this post.....thank you for sharing your thoughts, I can SO relate and it helps to know that other women feel the same way. You have a beautiful family.

Emily said...

Misty eyes. You should blog 'talk' more often. ;)

Shannon said...

Thank you for this post! I needed to hear it. I only have two kids, but it has been an adjustment since Savannah cries all the time. I always pray that I'll be a kind, loving mother who is happy. Some days are so hard, and this is just what I needed. Thank you!